LG is one of the leading global pioneers in the TV industry; it has an incredible market reputation for manufacturing AI-based smart TVs. Besides the LG smart TVs’ pristine quality, reliability, and advanced technology, you might have faced the LG TV black screen of death issue if you’re an LG user.
This blog will walk you through the critical reasons behind the LG TV black screen of death issue with smart solutions.
What is LG TV Black Screen of Death?
If your LG TV failed to show pictures/video while watching or turning it on, it refers to the LG TV black screen of death issue. The black screen of death may leave your smart TV in one of the following situations,
- It may have sound with a black screen.
- Neither does it have sound nor a display.
Keep reading this blog to find the reasons behind this critical LG TVs issue with easy-to-implement one-step solutions.
Reasons behind the LG TV Black Screen of Death Issue
Why does my LG TV screen turn black? Why did it happen to my LG TV???
Whether your LG TV has sound or not, you might be encountering the black screen of death issue for the following reasons.
- Software Glitches – It might be happening because of software errors. It may require a software update or configuration of the picture setting to solve this issue.
- Insufficient Power – TV does not show a picture if it is not getting a sufficient power supply. Power failure turns down the brightness of LG TVs to such an extent that we can’t see pictures.
- Loose Cabling – Loose HDMI cables can be another critical reason for your LG TV black screen of death issue.
- Outdated Firmware – LG smart TVs have firmware to operate the television smoothly like any other company’s smart TVs. Outdated firmware can also trigger the black screen of death issue.
- Hardware issue – Your TV hardware might get damaged because of humidity or other issues. Damaged hardware can be the reason for your LG TV’s black screen of death.
LG TV Black Screen of Death Fixes
Don’t be worried; it’s a common problem in LG smart TVs. You can follow the enlisted tricks to troubleshoot your LG TV black screen of death problem in no time.
1. Power Cycling
Power cycling is the first thing you may try to resolve the LG TV black screen of death issue. Power cycling refers to disconnecting the device (LG TV) from electricity for a while; most of the time, the LG TV display problem gets resolved with power cycling.
Unplug your LG TV to disconnect it from electricity and wait for at least 30 to 60 seconds. After a while, reconnect your LG TV with electricity to power it on. It will get your TV display and sound back if it does not have any of the above-discussed problems.
2. Reboot Your LG TV
Rebooting is a simple but worthful trick to get LG TVs back on track. Rebooting can solve the black screen problem, but how can I reboot LG TV? You may follow the enlisted steps to reboot your LG smart TV,
- Turn off the TV and disconnect it from electricity by removing its plug.
- Take a break of at least 10-to-15 minutes to reconnect the device (LG TV) to electricity.
- Plug in the TV to connect it with electricity after the defined break. Now, tap and hold the power button on LG TV for 10-to-15 seconds.
These steps will reboot your LG TV and restore its display and sound.
3. Picture Mode and Backlight Configuration
This solution will only help if the above tricks help you to get the display. You need to configure the picture mode and backlight configuration to entirely resolve the black screen of death problem and get the perfect display.
An inaccurate picture mode or backlight configuration could lead your TV to a darker display. You can follow the enlisted steps to precisely configure the picture mode and backlight,
- Turn on your LG TV and tap the home button on its remote.
- Scroll to the Setting and tap on the All settings option.
- Scroll to find and select the Picture setting option.
- Configure the picture mode as standard.
- Now, set the backlight at some point between 10-to-30.
- Lastly, increase the brightness level to set at 50. It is recommended but not essential to keep the brightness level at 50; you can set the brightness level according to room light conditions or meet the comfort level of your eye sightedness.
Configuring picture mode and backlight will get you the perfect display for your LG TV.
4. Check Cabling
Loose and damaged cabling is one of the most common problems behind the LG TV black screen of death. You need to check the cabling to avoid this issue; it is recommended to plug out all the cables and reconnect them tightly. Replace the HDMI cables if you find scratches or other physical damage on these cables.
5. Change the Power Source
Insufficient power also triggers LG smart TVs to the black screen of death. You might be using a damaged power outlet, causing the insufficient power supply and black screen display.
You may try a different power outlet to plug in the TV switch if the above-discussed solutions are not working in your case. Locate a different power outlet to plug in and turn on the TV; it will resolve the black screen of death issue caused by the insufficient power supply.
6. Turn off the standby mode
Standby mode is not a glitch but a feature in LG smart TVs that permits you to leave your TV on standby or in sleep mode. It ultimately shortens the time to power on the TV compared to the traditional Power button. Standby mode keeps your LG TV connected to electricity on a low level and takes minimal time to switch on.
You might be witnessing the black screen of death issue because of the standby mode. This mode turns off the TV if you have not used the remote for a while.
Turn off the standby mode to get your LG smart TV back functioning. Tap on the home button and head towards the setting option. Find and select the sleep timer in the setting to turn it off and ultimately resolve the black screen issue.
7. Reset the LG TV to Factory Setting
If all the solutions discussed above do not work for you, go for the implementation of the factory setting. It will remove all the software glitches, linked accounts, and IDs (user names and passwords) to bring your TV back to the default setting.
You may follow the enlisted steps for resetting your LG smart TV to the factory setting,
- Navigate to the setting from the main menu bar and tap on the General setting under the All setting option.
- Tap on the Reset the initial setting and click on ok to start the factory reset.
It will require a few minutes to complete the factory reset. After the factory setup, you may need to reconfigure all the accounts and display setting to prepare your smart TV for use. But it will definitely resolve the black screen of death issue.
8. Go for Hardware Repair
Go for hardware repair if any of the above-discussed tricks do not work in your case. It hints at the hardware problem. You may contact LG customer care or a local TV technician in your area to diagnose your LG TV and find & resolve the problem triggering the black screen.
It is recommended to contact LG customer care if the LCD panel is damaged. They will replace the LCD panel to get your TV back on track.
Final Words | How to fix LG TV Black Screen of Death
LG TV black screen of death is a common issue in LG smart TVs. In general, loose cabling, software glitches, standby mode, and inaccurate configurations trigger the black screen of death problems.
You can follow the enlisted smart tricks to troubleshoot the black screen problem. Contact LG customer care or your local TV technician for hardware repair if any of the above-discussed tricks do not work in your case.
Frequently Asked Questions | LG TV Black Screen of Death
Why my LG TV does not have pictures but sound?
Does your LG TV have a perfect sound with a black screen issue? It is a common issue arising from loose HDMI cabling, insufficient power, or hardware issues.
Why does my LG TV screen turn black?
Your LG TV screen may turn black because of the following reasons,
- Loose HDMI cabling
- Insufficient power supply
- Faulty Power source
- Standby mode
- Software glitches
- Outdated firmware
- Backlight overheated
- Inaccurate picture mode or backlight configuration
- Damaged Hardware
How do I fix the LG TV when it turns black while watching?
Disconnect your LG TV from electricity for 10 to 30 seconds and turn it on again. It will remove the standby mode impact and get your TV display back functioning.
It might be an overheated backlight that turns your TV screens black If you have not enabled the standby mode on your LG TV. In that case, turn off the TV for at least 20 to 30 minutes to give the machine some rest and cool down the backlight.